Friday, February 26, 2010

Screw you Mother Nature

So anyone in the continental US knows that this whole week NY, some parts of New Jersey, Mass. and Penn have been getting slammed with snow storms. Typically this would not be a concern to me, other than the fact that I am supposed to move tomorrow. And thanks to these storms, moving day is now all sorts of effed up. Amanda and Chris aren't going to be able to make it up at all most likely, and my parents are stuck in the storm and might not be able to make it up until Sunday. This typically would not be an issue, except for the fact that Sunday is the last day of my lease, meaning I need to have everything out of the apartment and cleaned up and turn in the keys before the end of the day. Perhaps I am to blame for waiting until the last weekend of my lease to move out, but given the current circumstances (busy family, planning a wedding, commuting fiancé) there wasn't much give anywhere else. So you will have to excuse me while I share my current panic attack musings on what may happen if this BS storm continues throughout today and into tomorrow.

This crap started Tuesday and has been going ever since, Andrew had to stay at the new house for 3 days instead of 1, and not like we won't be living there soon...as long as we get moved...but we currently still live in Clifton Park and I missed him like a bitch. Not like I didn't keep busy finishing up packing and doing the last of the laundry and cleaning and stuff, but still, when you lay down in bed at night, it's nice to be able to snuggle up to the one you love... even if he is already snoring. So, when he was finally able to get home it was really nice...and then the snow continued.

Wednesday we had almost 2 feet of snow...and not that fluffy shit, but the heavy, wet, make you hate your life snow. And man, did I ever. Not only did I break my shovel, I broke my snow brush, cut my hand and got stuck trying to get out of my parking spot. So, cursing all the way I spent an hour of my life, sweating and swearing that someday I will leave New York and go somewhere where the snow is minimal and there isn't a whole season out of the year devoted to that nonsense. After finally getting out of my spot and moving my car I returned to the warmth of my pretty much barren apartment to ride out the storm that was supposed to end that night. Instead it poured rain all day yesterday, while most of my family and friends were snowed in, Andrew and I were on the verge of being flooded out. It was...gross. Then today, the day I am supposed to be getting excited about the move tomorrow and finishing getting everything together... it comes to be that Mother Nature screws me again...my parents, Amanda and Chris are all snowed in...what kind of sick joke is this?

So here I sit, hoping that the storm will pass and my parents will make it up tomorrow in order to get us moved and maybe in the back of my mind holding onto just a little bit of hope that Amanda and Chris will be able to make it...and at the same time hoping everyone is safe and all that happy horse sh*t. But, I cannot tell a lie, I am pissed. Incredibly pissed...at everything and no one all at the same time, because of this storm, both my and Andrew's best friends are going to miss seeing the house, as well as spending some time together. My family has no power...meaning limited use of water, limited cooking ability and a whole lot of boring time together. Amanda and her sister don't have power either but I think that they are probably doing a lot better, all things considered. So I am pissed and frustrated and worried...what IF my family can't make it up and we aren't able to move this weekend? Never having been let down my dad in any moving time I doubt that such will be the case, but what if this time it is?

So yea, I am an angry, frustrated, cold, pissed off New Yorker, joining the thousands of other inconvenienced, snow hating residents. And people wonder why I want to move to the south or out west.

And all of this time to think, has brought me to question...why the hell do people want to live here? The state is overtaxed, over regulated, cold, economically down trodden, snowy, hell hole. And here we are, just having signed into another year (read most likely 2 or 3 years minimum...hi honey!!) of living here. But, after those few years are up, you can look for me somewhere, warm, sunny and more lax on the regulation of their residents...now if only to find that place. I think I need my own private island.

No comments:

Post a Comment